The standard term for processing documents for obtaining a visa to Australia at the embassy is up to 3 weeks. For private and tourist invitations, only a single entry visa to Australia is issued. Upon a service invitation, it is possible to issue a multi-visa (a visa to Australia for a specific period).
Reception of citizens in the Department of Visas and Immigration is carried out by appointment. Appointments can be made by phone or by email. Phone call hours: 9:00 am to 12:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Personal presence at the Embassy when submitting an application is not required. You can mail your application, or use a courier or authorized person.
All documents not in English must be accompanied by a certified English translation. Uncertified copies of documents are not accepted, notarized photocopies of documents must be submitted.
To obtain a visa to Australia, the following documents are required:
– an application form 48R, signed by the applicant and containing answers to all questions. A copy of Form 48R can be downloaded from the DIAC website;
– Visa fees;
– a new passport photo;
– a signed valid international passport or photocopies of all pages (including blank ones) if you cannot provide the original. Please note that the passport must have at least one blank page for gluing the visa;
– all your previous passports or, in the absence of original passports, their copies;
– details of your intended activities in Australia, including your travel itinerary (if any);
– confirmation that you are financially secure during your stay in Australia (for example, a bank statement, documentary evidence of your property);
– if you are employed, a certificate from the place of work indicating your position, salary, length of service, duration of vacation and confirmation of whether it is paid;
– if you have your own business, documents confirming its legal nature (for example, certificates of registration with the tax authorities and business registration), information about the income received from your business, and documents confirming the presence of any significant assets on the balance sheet of your business;
– if you are a student, a letter from your educational institution confirming your status as a student and (if applicable) an approved period of absence from your place of study to travel to Australia;
– if you are visiting relatives or friends, a written invitation from them specifying what kind of support they provide you (for example, airfare, accommodation, financial support). If the inviter provides you with financial support, you must provide documentary evidence of the financial solvency of the inviting party. The invitation must be accompanied by notarized copies of the documents of the inviting person, confirming the status of a resident or citizen of Australia;
– any other documents or information that, in your opinion, may be relevant to the application.
All visa applicants are strongly advised to take out full health insurance prior to travel. If you are 70 years of age or older, you must provide proof that you have health insurance coverage for the entire duration of your intended stay in Australia.
To preserve the unique Australian flora and fauna, as well as a favorable epidemiological situation in the country (there are practically no pathogens of dangerous diseases), there are a number of restrictions for all foreigners when entering the country. This means that upon arrival at the airport, you and your luggage can be sprayed with a disinfectant that is approved by the WHO. Treatment is carried out in order to prevent the entry into the Australian continent of microorganisms and insects that may adversely affect the local ecosystem.
According to Bit Translators, every aircraft arriving in Australia is treated with a disinfectant and every passenger is questioned about the items they bring in – animals, food, plants and soil are not allowed into Australia.
In addition, it is forbidden to import drugs, steroid preparations, cold and firearms, protected plants and animals and their products into Australia. Any animals, foodstuffs, plants and products made from them must be declared and subject to quarantine control.
There are no restrictions on the import into Australia of any currencies in any amount, as well as on export. Only when importing cash in excess of the equivalent of 5,000 Australian dollars, they simply need to be indicated in the declaration. This rule does not apply to traveler’s checks and credit cards. Travelers over 16 years of age can import alcoholic beverages duty-free – up to 1 liter, tobacco products – up to 250 grams.