According to top-mba-universities, Lewistown is a city in the heart of Central Montana, located on the edge of the Missouri River. The geography of Lewistown is varied, with high plains to rolling hills and mountain views. The climate is generally dry and mild, with temperatures ranging from below zero in winter to over 100 degrees in summer.
The history of Lewistown dates back to 1882 when it was founded as a trading post. Since then it has grown into an important agricultural and industrial center for the region. It has also become a popular tourist destination due to its proximity to national parks and other attractions.
Politically, Lewistown leans Republican, although there are some Democrats in the area who have made their influence felt over time. The economy is largely based on agriculture and ranching, but there are also some manufacturing jobs available here as well as services such as tourism and hospitality.
Schools in Lewistown are served by Fergus County Public Schools, which consists of eight elementary schools, one middle school, one high school, one alternative school, one virtual academy and three charter schools. Higher education opportunities include the University of Montana-Western Campus and Fergus Community College.
Some notable landmarks around Lewistown include historic downtown buildings like the old courthouse building; Fort Maginnis; local museums such as the Central Montana Museum; two golf courses; several parks including Smith River State Park; two ski resorts; and a number of hiking trails for outdoor recreation enthusiasts.
Population: 5,813. Estimated population in July 2020: 6,099 (+4.9% change)
Males: 2,713 (46.7%), Females: 3,100 (53.3%)
Zip code: 59457
Median resident age: 42.9 years
Median household income: $28,949
Median house value: $70,500
Races in Lewistown:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.0%)
- American Indian (2.6%)
- Two or more races (1.5%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (26.2%), Irish (14.7%), Norwegian (13.9%), English (12.8%), United States (9.0%), Scotch-Irish (3.7%).
Elevation: 3963 feet
Land area: 1.9 square miles
Lewistown, Montana is a small town located in central Montana with a population of just under 6,000. The city is known for its friendly and welcoming atmosphere, and the majority of residents are of European descent. However, Lewistown also has a diverse population that includes Native Americans, African-Americans, Asians, and Hispanics. The median age in Lewistown is 37.6 years old and its population is largely made up of middle-aged adults and young families.
The city’s economy is largely centered around agriculture, with wheat being the primary crop grown in the area. There are also several small businesses located throughout Lewistown that provide jobs for locals. The city also has a thriving art scene with numerous galleries and studios showcasing the work of local artists. Additionally, there are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy such as fishing on one of the many nearby lakes or camping in one of the nearby national forests. Overall Lewistown offers an excellent quality of life for its residents while still providing access to all the amenities that come with living in a larger city such as great shopping opportunities and award-winning restaurants.
For population 25 years and over in Lewistown
- High school or higher: 87.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 19.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.2%
- Unemployed: 6.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 14.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Lewistown city
- Never married: 21.9%
- Now married: 52.7%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 11.7%
- Divorced: 13.0%
0.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -195 (-3.2%).
Hospital/medical center in Lewistown:
- CENTRAL MONTANA MEDICAL CTR (408 WENDELL)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Lewistown:
- WHEATLAND MEMORIAL HOSPITAL – CAH (about 53 miles; HARLOWTON, MT)
- ROUNDUP MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 72 miles; ROUNDUP, MT)
- BIG SANDY MEDICAL CENTER – CAH (about 87 miles; BIG SANDY, MT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Lewistown:
- BILLINGS LOGAN INTL (about 107 miles; BILLINGS, MT; Abbreviation: BIL)
- GREAT FALLS INTL (about 137 miles; GREAT FALLS, MT; Abbreviation: GTF)
- GALLATIN FIELD (about 149 miles; BOZEMAN, MT; Abbreviation: BZN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Lewistown:
- LEWISTOWN MUNI (about 4 miles; LEWISTOWN, MT; Abbreviation: LWT)
- WINIFRED (about 34 miles; WINIFRED, MT; Abbreviation: 9S7)
- DENTON (about 39 miles; DENTON, MT; Abbreviation: 5U0)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Lewistown:
- MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY-BILLINGS (about 113 miles; BILLINGS, MT; Full-time enrollment: 3,105)
- MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY-BOZEMAN (about 142 miles; BOZEMAN, MT; Full-time enrollment: 10,380)
- RICKS COLLEGE (about 275 miles; REXBURG, ID; Full-time enrollment: 8,670)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF MONTANA-MISSOULA (about 320 miles; MISSOULA, MT; Full-time enrollment: 11,112)
- CASPER COLLEGE (about 360 miles; CASPER, WY; Full-time enrollment: 2,564)
- IDAHO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 364 miles; POCATELLO, ID; Full-time enrollment: 10,057)
- UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY (about 410 miles; LOGAN, UT; Full-time enrollment: 16,384)
Public high school in Lewistown:
- FERGUS HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 465; Location: 201 CASINO CREEK DRIVE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Lewistown:
- HIGHLAND PARK SCHOOL (Students: 281; Location: 1312 7TH AVENUE NORTH; Grades: PK – 02)
- LEWISTOWN 7-8 (Students: 249; Location: 914 WEST MAIN; Grades: 07 – 08)
- LEWIS & CLARK SCHOOL (Students: 235; Location: 212 CRYSTAL DRIVE; Grades: 05 – 06)
- GARFIELD SCHOOL (Students: 206; Location: 415 EAST BOULEVARD; Grades: 03 – 04)
- SPRING CREEK COLONY SCHL (Students: 14; Location: 8992 HANOVER ROAD; Grades: PK – 08)
- KING COLONY SCHOOL (Students: 12; Location: ROUTE 2 BOX 2288; Grades: PK – 08)
- DEERFIELD SCHOOL (Students: 4; Location: DEERFIELD COLONY; Grades: PK – 08)
Private primary/middle school in Lewistown:
- CENTRAL MONTANA CHRISTIAN SCH (Students: 12; Location: 624 WEST WASHINGTON; Grades: PK – 11)