Xiamen, Fujian (China, center)
Xiamen is located in Fujian Province, one of the first 4 special economic zones in China. The city was founded in the middle of the XIV century. under the Ming Dynasty and immediately acquired the importance of an important seaport. At different times, Portuguese, Spanish merchants, the Dutch, and the British settled near it. Xiamen is entirely on an island, connected to the mainland by a long causeway, along which a highway, railway and footpath pass.
One of the main attractions of the city is Gulangyu Island, where in the XIX century. an international settlement of numerous European traders was organized. This piece of land with an area of 1.84 km 2impresses with its magnificence. The island is covered with dense forests, among which buildings of the 18th century are scattered. in European and American styles. The city has two natural beaches – West and East. The East is always full of vacationers, while the West is closed to everyone except the People’s Liberation Army of China. The highest point of Guland is Sunshine Mountain, which offers panoramic views of the surrounding area. The ferry to Gulangyu departs from Xiamen from the pier north of the Lujiang Hotel from 5 am to midnight. There are no buses, cars or rickshaws on Gulangyu, all movement is done on foot. Check itypejob for provinces in central China.
Another famous tourist destination is Jimei University Campus. (Jimei). The buildings in the town are built in the typical Fujian architectural style. In Jimei, during the Dragon Boat Festival, a boat competition is held annually. At Wulao Peak, you can see the South Putuo Temple, dedicated to the Goddess of Mercy Guanyin. This temple is an important religious monument of national importance. Nanputuo Buddhist Temple
stands on the southern outskirts of Xiamen(Nanputuo Si), built over 1000 years ago during the Tang Dynasty. They enter the temple through the Hall of the Heavenly King, Tian Wang, where Maitreya Buddha greets those who enter with crossed legs. Behind him stands Wei Tuo, guardian and protector of the Buddhist Doctrine. Behind this hall opens a courtyard with the Tower of Drums and the Bell Tower. On the other side of the courtyard is the Hall of the Heroic Treasure (Daxiongbao), a two-story building containing statues of three Buddhas. At the foot of the statues, made in the form of a lotus, the biography of the Buddha and the story of the Chinese traveler and monk Xuan Zang are carved. The next hall is the Hall of Great Compassion (Dabei). It contains figures of four bodhisattvas. At the back of the temple complex is a pavilion built in 1936 that houses a collection of Buddhist manuscripts, calligraphy, ivory sculptures and other art objects. Near the temple is Xiamen University (Xiamen Daxue), founded by overseas Chinese. The Museum of Anthropology is interesting here, keeping a rich collection of ceramics, porcelain, jade products, coins, beautiful calligraphy and painting from China, Taiwan and the Malay Peninsula, of various dynasties – from the Shang and Zhou dynasties to the Ming and Qing dynasties.
Fuzhou, Fujian (China, center)
Fuzhou is the capital of Fujian Province and an important port on the Minjiang River, at the mouth of which it is located. The first settlements on the site of the modern city appeared during the Neolithic. In the era of the Warring States, the property of one of the feudal lords of the Minyue kingdom was located here. During the Qin Dynasty (221-206 BC), Fuzhou was the political center of the Fujian fiefdom in the Minyue kingdom. During the era of the Western Han Dynasty (206 BC – 8 AD), the city was “opened” to foreign trade, becoming the country’s first international port and becoming the administrative center of the Minyue kingdom. Subsequently, during the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127), it became one of the centers of shipbuilding in China. Fuzhou It was also the temporary capital of the Middle Kingdom during the reign of the Southern Song (1127-1279) and Ming (1368-1644) emperors. In 1276, during the period of the struggle against the Mongols, one of the emperors of the Southern Song was crowned here. During the Qing era (1644-1911) until the overthrow of the last emperor Pu Yi in 1911, Fuzhou was the provincial capital.
In terms of the number of attractions, Fuzhou is inferior to other cities in the province – Simen and Quanzhou, however, there is something to see here. First of all, these are Sanfangxiang and Zhutsifangze – districts of the old city, rich in monuments of ancient urban planning (narrow streets, cobblestone pavements, houses with white walls and tiled roofs). Fuzhou called the city of “three mountains, two pagodas and one river”, because 3 mountain ranges (Yushan, Nyaoshan and Pingshan) pass through its territory, there are 2 ancient pagodas (Baita and Nyaota), and the Minjiang River flows. Minjiang divides Fuzhou into northern and southern parts. In the northwest of the city is Xihu Gongyuan Park, where the Fujian Provincial Museum (Fujiansheng Bowuguan) is located. To the east of the city rises the Drum Hill (Gu Shan) with the Yongquan Monastery. The hill takes its name from the drum-shaped rock at its top. The monastery is over 1,000 years old and is said to contain 20,000 Buddhist manuscripts, of which 700 are written in blood.
In the vicinity of the city, many historical sights have been preserved, which attracts a large number of tourists. One of the most famous monuments of antiquity is the throne room of the Hualinsi temple, which is the oldest building of wooden architecture.