According to itypejob.com, Mission, Texas is a city located in the Lower Rio Grande Valley region of Texas. It is situated on the banks of the Rio Grande River and is bordered by Mexico to the south. The city has a population of about 80,000 people and is part of Hidalgo County.
The geography of Mission is characterized by flat land with an abundance of vegetation, including mesquite trees and cacti. The climate in Mission is subtropical and hot, with temperatures ranging from 75-95 degrees Fahrenheit during the summer months. Rainfall occurs throughout the year with average annual precipitation totals between 15-25 inches per year.
Mission was founded in 1846 by a group of settlers from Reynosa, Mexico who were seeking religious freedom and economic opportunity. In its early days, Mission served as a trading post for local ranchers and farmers who grew corn, cotton, sugarcane and other crops for export to Mexico and other parts of Texas. By the late 19th century it had become an important center for ranching and agriculture in South Texas.
Politically, Mission is part of Hidalgo County which has been Democratic since its formation in 1852. The current mayor is Norberto Salinas who was first elected in 2011 after spending many years as an educator in public schools throughout Texas.
The economy of Mission relies heavily on agriculture with many local farmers growing cotton, corn, sorghum, wheat and vegetables for sale both locally and internationally. The area also has a strong tourism industry that caters to visitors looking to enjoy outdoor activities such as bird watching or fishing on the nearby Rio Grande River or visiting historic sites such as La Lomita Chapel which was built by settlers in 1865. Additionally there are several businesses operating within city limits which provide employment opportunities to local residents such as retail stores, restaurants and construction companies.
Mission has several public schools located within its boundaries including two high schools (Mission High School & Veterans Memorial High School), five middle schools (Alton Gloor Middle School & four others) as well as 14 elementary schools (Cuellar Elementary School & thirteen others). There are also several private schools located within city limits that offer educational opportunities at all grade levels including St Paul Catholic School & St Joseph Academy among others .
Some notable landmarks located within Mission include La Lomita Chapel which was built by settlers over 150 years ago; McAllen Convention Center which hosts various events throughout the year; National Butterfly Center which serves as a refuge for many species of butterflies; Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge which provides habitat to over 400 species of birds; Anzalduas Park which offers fishing & other recreational activities; World Birding Center which offers bird watching opportunities; El Rancho Realty Building which served as one of the oldest buildings in town until it burned down in 2010; Historic Downtown walking tour that takes visitors through some historic sites including City Hall building & old post office building; Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park which provides hiking trails & camping opportunities among many other attractions .
Population: 45,408. Estimated population in July 2020: 60,146 (+32.5% change)
Males: 21,642 (47.7%), Females: 23,766 (52.3%)
Zip codes: 78572.
Median resident age: 30.5 years
Median household income: $30,647
Median house value: $63,900
Races in Mission:
- Hispanic (81.0%)
- Other race (18.6%)
- White Non-Hispanic (17.7%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (4.6%), Irish (2.5%), English (2.5%), United States (2.3%).
Land area: 24.1 square miles
Mission, Texas is a city located in Hidalgo County and has a population of 83,017 as of the 2010 census. It is part of the McAllen-Edinburg-Mission metropolitan area, with a total population of 774,769. Mission is one of the oldest cities in the Rio Grande Valley and was founded in 1873 by Col. Jose de Escandon. The city was named after Mission Nuestra Senora de la Purisima Concepcion de Acuna, which was founded by Escandon in 1749.
Mission has seen rapid growth since 2000 due to an influx of people from Mexico and other parts of Latin America looking for economic opportunities. This growth has resulted in a diverse population that is composed mainly of Mexican Americans (80% of total population), but also includes people from other Hispanic backgrounds such as Salvadoran, Honduran, Guatemalan and Puerto Rican (11% combined). The remaining 9% consists mostly of non-Hispanic Whites and African Americans. The city’s economy is largely based on agriculture and tourism, with many residents being employed in citrus orchards or related industries such as crop harvesting or packing services. Additionally, there are several manufacturing companies located within the city limits that provide employment opportunities for local residents.
For population 25 years and over in Mission
- High school or higher: 59.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.0%
- Unemployed: 10.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mission city
- Never married: 23.7%
- Now married: 60.4%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 6.6%
- Divorced: 6.3%
25.4% Foreign born (24.7% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +14,222 (+45.6%).
Hospital/medical center in Mission:
- MISSION HOSPITAL INC (900 SOUTH BRYAN ROAD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Mission:
- MC ALLEN HEART HOSP (about 6 miles; MC ALLEN, TX)
- RIO GRANDE REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; MC ALLEN, TX)
- CORNERSTONE REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; EDINBURG, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Mission:
- MC ALLEN MILLER INTL (about 7 miles; MC ALLEN, TX; Abbreviation: MFE)
- VALLEY INTL (about 47 miles; HARLINGEN, TX; Abbreviation: HRL)
- BROWNSVILLE/SOUTH PADRE ISLAND INT’L (about 67 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: BRO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Mission:
- EDINBURG INTL (about 21 miles; EDINBURG, TX; Abbreviation: 25R)
- MID VALLEY (about 25 miles; WESLACO, TX; Abbreviation: T65)
- RIO GRANDE CITY MUNI (about 39 miles; RIO GRANDE CITY, TX; Abbreviation: 67R)
Amtrak station near Mission:
- 6 miles: MCALLEN (120 S. 16TH ST.) – Bus Station. Services: enclosed waiting area, intercity bus service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mission:
- SOUTH TEXAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 6 miles; MCALLEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,142)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS-PAN AMERICAN (about 14 miles; EDINBURG, TX; Full-time enrollment: 9,651)
- TEXAS STATE TECHNICAL COLLEGE-HARLINGEN (about 44 miles; HARLINGEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,167)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT BROWNSVILLE (about 59 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,044)
- TEXAS SOUTHMOST COLLEGE (about 59 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,556)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-KINGSVILLE (about 94 miles; KINGSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,860)
- LAREDO COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 122 miles; LAREDO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,449)
Public high schools in Mission:
- SHARYLAND H S (Students: 1,923; Location: 1106 N SHARY RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
- MISSION H S (Students: 1,737; Location: 1201 BRYCE DR; Grades: 09 – 12)
- VETERANS MEMORIAL HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,559; Location: 1201 BRYCE DR; Grades: 09 – 12)
- SHARYLAND ALTERNATIVE EDUCATION S (Students: 14; Location: 1106 N SHARY RD; Grades: 07 – 12)
- HIDALGO COUNTY J J A E P (Students: 2; Location: 1106 N SHARY RD; Grades: 07 – 12)
Private high schools in Mission:
- VALLEY CHRISTIAN SCHOOLS (Students: 239; Location: RR 15 BOX 6228; Grades: PK – 12)
- FAITH CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 108; Location: 4301 NORTH SHARY ROAD; Grades: PK – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Mission:
- B L GRAY JUNIOR HIGH (Students: 1,105; Location: 1106 N SHARY RD; Grades: 07 – 08)
- CESAR CHAVEZ MIDDLE (Students: 1,011; Location: 78 SHOWERS RD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- JOSE DE ESCANDON EL (Students: 907; Location: 700 N SCHUEBACH RD; Grades: PK – 05)
- ELODIA R CHAPA EL (Students: 887; Location: 5670 DOFFING RD; Grades: PK – 05)
- FLORES EL (Students: 883; Location: 1913 ROQUE SALINAS; Grades: PK – 05)
- PATRICIO PEREZ ELEMENTARY (Students: 880; Location: 4431 MINNESOTA RD; Grades: PK – 05)
- OLLIE O’GRADY EL (Students: 852; Location: 1201 BRYCE DR; Grades: PK – 06)
- MEMORIAL MIDDLE (Students: 851; Location: 2610 N MOOREFIELD RD; Grades: 06 – 09)
- ANN RICHARDS MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 845; Location: 7005 ANN RICHARDS RD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- NARCISO CAVAZOS (Students: 833; Location: 4563 MINNESOTA RD; Grades: PK – 05)
Private primary/middle school in Mission:
- AGAPE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 228; Location: P O BOX 1045 1401 E 24TH; Grades: PK – 6)
Library in Mission:
- SPEER MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $801,809; Location: 801 E 12TH ST; 77,700 books; 1,687 audio materials; 1,176 video materials; 119 serial subscriptions)