According to iTypeJob, Mount Pleasant is a city located in northeast Texas, just south of the Texas-Oklahoma border. Geographically, it is situated on the rolling hills of the Red River Valley and surrounded by lush forests and farmland. The climate is typical for this part of the state, with hot summers and mild winters.
The history of Mount Pleasant dates back to 1834 when it was first settled by pioneers from Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina. Since then, the city has grown to become an important hub for trade, industry and culture in northeast Texas. Politically, Mount Pleasant is a conservative-leaning city with an active local government that focuses on economic development initiatives.
The economy of Mount Pleasant is largely driven by manufacturing, particularly automotive parts production and food processing. The city also has a vibrant retail sector with several popular shopping centers located within its borders. Schools in Mount Pleasant are served by two separate school districts: the Mt. Pleasant ISD and Titus County ISD. These districts offer excellent educational opportunities for students from pre-K through high school graduation.
Mount Pleasant also offers numerous attractions for visitors including historic buildings such as the Titus County Courthouse; recreational activities like fishing at Lake Bob Sandlin; cultural events such as the annual Azalea Festival; and several museums including The Museum of Regional History which chronicles over 200 years of area history through artifacts and exhibits. In addition to these attractions, there are several parks scattered throughout town that provide outdoor recreation opportunities for residents and visitors alike including hiking trails, playgrounds and picnic areas.
Population: 13,935. Estimated population in July 2020: 14,760 (+5.9% change)
Males: 6,780 (48.7%), Females: 7,155 (51.3%)
Zip codes: 75455.
Median resident age: 29.9 years
Median household income: $28,805
Median house value: $57,500
Races in Mount Pleasant:
- White Non-Hispanic (41.6%)
- Hispanic (40.6%)
- Other race (23.6%)
- Black (16.0%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (9.5%), Irish (4.5%), English (4.1%), German (3.3%), French (1.1%).
Land area: 12.5 square miles
Mount Pleasant, Texas is a small town located in Titus County. According to the 2019 census, the population of Mount Pleasant was 15,564. The town has a diverse population with nearly equal proportions of African Americans and Caucasians. Other races include Asians, Native Americans, and Hispanics. The median age in Mount Pleasant is 35.2 years old, which is slightly lower than the national average of 37.7 years old. The median household income in Mount Pleasant is $39,541 and the median rent is $742 per month. The poverty rate in Mount Pleasant stands at 17%, which is higher than the national average of 11%.
The economy in Mount Pleasant relies heavily on agriculture and oil production as well as light manufacturing and retail businesses. There are several large employers in the area such as Tyson Foods Inc., Pilgrim’s Pride Corporation and Agriland FS Inc., all providing jobs for local residents. Education also plays a major role in the local economy with two universities located within 20 miles of town – Northeast Texas Community College and Texas A&M University-Commerce – both offering degree programs for students from across Texas to pursue their higher education goals. Additionally, there are numerous public schools within the district providing educational opportunities for children from kindergarten through 12th grade.
For population 25 years and over in Mount Pleasant
- High school or higher: 58.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.9%
- Unemployed: 8.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mount Pleasant city
- Never married: 24.6%
- Now married: 56.1%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 8.2%
- Divorced: 8.5%
25.2% Foreign born (24.4% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,414 (+11.3%).
Hospital/medical center in Mount Pleasant:
- TITUS COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (2001 N JEFFERSON)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Mount Pleasant:
- EAST TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER PITTSBURG (about 13 miles; PITTSBURG, TX)
- EAST TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER MOUNT VERNON (about 18 miles; MOUNT VERNON, TX)
- PRESBYTERIAN HOSPITAL OF WINNSBORO (about 27 miles; WINNSBORO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Mount Pleasant:
- COX FLD (about 47 miles; PARIS, TX; Abbreviation: PRX)
- EAST TEXAS RGNL (about 57 miles; LONGVIEW, TX; Abbreviation: GGG)
- TYLER POUNDS RGNL (about 63 miles; TYLER, TX; Abbreviation: TYR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Mount Pleasant:
- MOUNT PLEASANT RGNL (about 6 miles; MOUNT PLEASANT, TX; Abbreviation: OSA)
- FRANKLIN COUNTY (about 19 miles; MOUNT VERNON, TX; Abbreviation: F53)
- GREATER MORRIS COUNTY (about 21 miles; DAINGERFIELD, TX; Abbreviation: 8F5)
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Mount Pleasant:
- NORTHEAST TEXAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,160; Location: FM 1735; Public; Website: www.ntcc.cc.tx.us)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mount Pleasant:
- TYLER JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 53 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,872)
- KILGORE COLLEGE (about 54 miles; KILGORE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,814)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT TYLER (about 62 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,433)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-COMMERCE (about 66 miles; COMMERCE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,998)
- TRINITY VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 91 miles; ATHENS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,858)
- BOSSIER PARISH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 97 miles; BOSSIER CITY, LA; Full-time enrollment: 2,743)
- STEPHEN F AUSTIN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 104 miles; NACOGDOCHES, TX; Full-time enrollment: 10,217)
Public high schools in Mount Pleasant:
- MT PLEASANT H S (Students: 1,269; Location: 105 N RIDDLE; Grades: 09 – 12)
- CHAPEL HILL H S (Students: 290; Location: F M 1735; Grades: 09 – 12)
- MT PLEASANT DAEP (Students: 14; Location: 105 N RIDDLE; Grades: 07 – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Mount Pleasant:
- CORPREW INTERMEDIATE (Students: 720; Location: 105 N RIDDLE; Grades: 03 – 04)
- MOUNT PLEASANT J H (Students: 693; Location: 105 N RIDDLE; Grades: 07 – 08)
- WALLACE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 646; Location: 105 N RIDDLE; Grades: 03 – 06)
- CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER (Students: 542; Location: 105 N RIDDLE; Grades: PK – KG)
- CHAPEL HILL EL (Students: 412; Location: F M 1735; Grades: KG – 06)
- VIVIAN FOWLER ELEMENTARY (Students: 395; Location: 105 N RIDDLE; Grades: KG – 02)
- BRICE ELEMENTARY (Students: 393; Location: 105 N RIDDLE; Grades: KG – 02)
- SIMS ELEMENTARY (Students: 388; Location: 105 N RIDDLE; Grades: KG – 03)
- HARTS BLUFF EL (Students: 388; Location: F M 1402; Grades: KG – 08)
- CHAPEL HILL J H (Students: 132; Location: F M 1735; Grades: 07 – 08)