According to iTypeJob, Muenster, Texas is a small town located in Cooke County, in the northeast corner of the state. It has a population of around 2,000 people. The geography of Muenster is mostly flat with some rolling hills. The climate is mild with warm summers and cool winters.
The history of Muenster dates back to 1879 when German immigrants first started settling there. They named the area after their hometown in Germany, Münster. Today, many of the local businesses still reflect this German heritage including the local bakery and restaurant.
Politics in Muenster are dominated by conservative values and beliefs. The mayor is elected every two years and there are four city council members who serve four-year terms.
The economy in Muenster primarily revolves around agriculture, dairy farming, and ranching. There are also several small businesses that provide services to locals such as auto repair shops and restaurants.
Education in Muenster is provided by the Muenster Independent School District which includes an elementary school, middle school, and high school for grades K-12. There are also several private schools available for those who wish to pursue higher education after graduating from high school or college prep programs such as St Joseph’s Catholic School or First Baptist Christian Academy both located within the town limits.
The most notable landmark in Muenster is St Mary’s Catholic Church which was built in 1884 by German immigrants and remains an important part of the community today. Another popular spot is Lake Muenster which offers fishing, boating, camping and swimming during the summer months while providing beautiful views during winter months as well as being a great spot for bird watching enthusiasts year round!
Population: 1,556. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,665 (+7.0% change)
Males: 729 (46.9%), Females: 827 (53.1%)
Zip code: 76252
Median resident age: 37.0 years
Median household income: $39,125
Median house value: $77,600
Races in Muenster:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.8%)
- Hispanic (2.2%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- Other race (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (56.7%), United States (10.5%), Irish (5.0%), English (3.6%), French (2.6%), Polish (2.3%).
Elevation: 1007 feet
Land area: 1.3 square miles
Muenster, Texas is a small town in Cooke County, located 70 miles northwest of Dallas. As of the 2010 census, the population was 2,754; however, this number has increased slightly since then. The town is comprised of primarily white Americans with a small minority population. The majority of the population is between the ages of 25 and 44 years old, making up about 35% of the total population. Of those aged 25 to 44, about half are married and living with their family. The median household income for Muenster is around $50,000 and most residents are employed in various industries such as farming and construction. There are also several small businesses operating in Muenster including restaurants, bars, shops and other services. Overall, Muenster is a quiet rural community that offers its citizens a peaceful lifestyle while still providing access to larger cities nearby.
For population 25 years and over in Muenster
- High school or higher: 80.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.6%
- Unemployed: 1.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Muenster city
- Never married: 21.3%
- Now married: 57.2%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 13.0%
- Divorced: 7.5%
0.3% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +159 (+11.4%).
Hospital/medical center in Muenster:
- MUENSTER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (605 N MAPLE AVENUE BOX 370)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Muenster:
- GAINESVILLE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; GAINESVILLE, TX)
- NOCONA GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; NOCONA, TX)
- MERCY HEALTH LOVE COUNTY (about 28 miles; MARIETTA, OK)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Muenster:
- FORT WORTH ALLIANCE (about 47 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: AFW)
- FORT WORTH MEACHAM INTL (about 58 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: FTW)
- DALLAS/FORT WORTH INTERNATIONAL (about 58 miles; DALLAS-FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: DFW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Muenster:
- FREEDOM FIELD (about 12 miles; LINDSAY, TX; Abbreviation: 7T0)
- GAINESVILLE MUNI (about 14 miles; GAINESVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: GLE)
- FALCONHEAD (about 20 miles; BURNEYVILLE, OK; Abbreviation: 37K)
Amtrak station near Muenster:
- 17 miles: GAINESVILLE (605 E. CALIFORNIA ST.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Muenster:
- NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS COLLEGE (about 17 miles; GAINESVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,018)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS (about 33 miles; DENTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 21,673)
- TEXAS WOMAN’S UNIVERSITY (about 36 miles; DENTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,746)
- GRAYSON COUNTY COLLEGE (about 56 miles; DENISON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,082)
- COLLIN COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-CENTRAL PARK (about 58 miles; MCKINNEY, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,514)
- DEVRY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 58 miles; IRVING, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,651)
- NORTH LAKE COLLEGE (about 60 miles; IRVING, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,554)
Public high school in Muenster:
- MUENSTER H S (Students: 261; Location: 135 E 7TH ST; Grades: 07 – 12)
Private high school in Muenster:
- SACRED HEART SCHOOL (Students: 299; Location: P O BOX 588; Grades: PK – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Muenster:
- MUENSTER EL (Students: 282; Location: 135 E 7TH ST; Grades: PK – 06)
Library in Muenster:
- MUENSTER PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $19,217; Location: 418 N ELM ST; 16,590 books; 271 audio materials; 184 video materials; 13 serial subscriptions)