According to Searchforpublicschools, New Home, Texas is located in the heart of the Brazos Valley. It is a small city with a population of around 25,000 people. The geography of New Home is characterized by rolling hills and open plains. The climate in New Home is typically hot and humid during the summer months, and mild during the winter months.
The history of New Home dates back to the early 1800s when it was first settled by settlers from the United States. The city has seen its share of political turmoil over the years, but has recently become more politically stable. The economy of New Home largely depends on agriculture and livestock production, as well as small businesses found in its downtown area.
The schools in New Home are highly rated for their academic excellence, with several schools offering advanced placement courses and college preparatory programs. There are also several universities nearby that offer specialized degree programs for students interested in continuing their education after graduation from high school.
New Home boasts many historic landmarks that attract visitors from around the world such as its historic courthouse square, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and its old town square which features a variety of shops and restaurants. Additionally there are several museums that feature artifacts from local history as well as other areas of interest including art galleries and libraries. Lastly, there are many parks throughout the city that offer recreational activities such as walking trails, playgrounds, picnic areas, tennis courts and more for visitors to enjoy year-round.
Population: 320. Estimated population in July 2020: 316 (-1.3% change)
Males: 164 (51.2%), Females: 156 (48.8%)
Zip code: 79383
Median resident age: 30.5 years
Median household income: $39,063
Median house value: $50,000
Races in New Home:
- Hispanic (52.8%)
- White Non-Hispanic (47.2%)
- Other race (25.0%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (12.8%), Irish (7.2%), German (4.1%), English (3.4%), French Canadian (1.9%), Norwegian (1.9%).
Elevation: 3236 feet
Land area: 1.0 square miles
New Home, Texas is a city located in Lubbock County with a population of 8,000 people according to the 2010 census. The city has seen growth since then, and the estimated population for 2020 is around 10,000 people. The majority of the population is Caucasian, making up nearly 78% of the total population. The remaining 22% consists of African American, Hispanic, Asian and Native American populations.
The median age in New Home is 35 years old with nearly 47% of citizens being between 25-44 years old. This age group makes up the largest portion of New Home’s population. Women make up 52% of the total population while men make up 48%. The median household income in New Home is around $54,000 per year and 14% of residents live below poverty level. Education levels are high in New Home; over 87% of citizens have at least a high school diploma and over 25% have obtained a bachelor’s degree or higher. The city also has a strong job market with many local businesses providing employment to its citizens.
For population 25 years and over in New Home
- High school or higher: 74.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 19.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.8%
- Unemployed: 4.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in New Home city
- Never married: 20.9%
- Now married: 67.4%
- Separated: 2.8%
- Widowed: 3.7%
- Divorced: 5.1%
3.8% Foreign born (3.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +170 (+113.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near New Home:
- LYNN COUNTY HOSPITAL DISTRICT (about 11 miles; TAHOKA, TX)
- HIGHLAND MEDICAL CENTER (about 16 miles; LUBBOCK, TX)
- SUNRISE CANYON HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; LUBBOCK, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to New Home:
- LUBBOCK INTL (about 24 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Abbreviation: LBB)
- MIDLAND INTERNATIONAL (about 98 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Abbreviation: MAF)
- LEA COUNTY RGNL (about 101 miles; HOBBS, NM; Abbreviation: HOB)
Other public-use airports nearest to New Home:
- T-BAR (about 13 miles; TAHOKA, TX; Abbreviation: 2F4)
- TOWN & COUNTRY AIRPARK (about 14 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Abbreviation: F82)
- SLATON MUNI (about 22 miles; SLATON, TX; Abbreviation: F49)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to New Home:
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 21 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE (about 40 miles; LEVELLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,851)
- WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 61 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,578)
- MIDLAND COLLEGE (about 91 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,800)
- ODESSA COLLEGE (about 108 miles; ODESSA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,555)
- WEST TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY (about 113 miles; CANYON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,476)
- EASTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 115 miles; PORTALES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,955)
Public primary/middle school in New Home:
- NEW HOME SCHOOL (Students: 199; Location: 225 N MAIN ST; Grades: KG – 12)