According to top-engineering-schools.org, Odem, Texas is a small city located in the south of the state. The city is surrounded by rolling hills and lush green pastures, with a few scattered trees throughout. The climate in Odem is mild and temperate, with hot summers and cool winters. Historically, the area was once part of the Comanche territory until they were pushed out by settlers in the early 1800s.
Politically, Odem is home to a mayor-council form of government. The town has an elected mayor and six council members who are responsible for setting local laws and ordinances as well as managing the town’s budget. The economy of Odem primarily relies on agriculture, with many local farms producing cotton, corn, sorghum and other crops for sale both locally and nationally.
The city also boasts a number of schools including two elementary schools, one middle school, one high school and a private Christian academy. All of these institutions are known for their excellent academic standards as well as their commitment to providing students with a well-rounded education that includes extracurricular activities such as sports teams and music programs.
When it comes to landmarks in Odem, there are several historic sites that draw tourists from around the country each year. These include the old courthouse built in 1845 which serves as a reminder of Odem’s rich history; the First United Methodist Church which dates back to 1857; and the old jailhouse which was built in 1880 but no longer holds prisoners today. Other popular attractions include several parks such as Joe Pool Lake Park which offers outdoor activities such as fishing, boating and camping; Denton Creek Park which features walking trails through its wooded areas; and Mustang Park which offers playground equipment for children to enjoy.
Population: 2,499. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,484 (-0.6% change)
Males: 1,164 (46.6%), Females: 1,335 (53.4%)
San Patricio County
Zip code: 78370
Median resident age: 31.3 years
Median household income: $31,090
Median house value: $49,400
Races in Odem:
- Hispanic (77.9%)
- Other race (23.0%)
- White Non-Hispanic (20.9%)
- Two or more races (2.4%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (4.6%), Irish (3.5%), United States (2.6%), English (2.4%), French (1.0%).
Elevation: 75 feet
Land area: 1.1 square miles
Odem, Texas is a small city located in San Patricio County. As of 2019, the population of Odem was 2,764. The majority of the population is made up of White Americans (71%), followed by Hispanics (26%), and African Americans (2%). The median age in Odem is 38 years old, with approximately 44% of the population being under the age of 18.
The majority of households in Odem are married couples living together and have an average household size of 3.3 people. The median household income for residents is $50,000 per year, with 30% below the poverty line. Education levels are relatively low in comparison to other parts of Texas; only 59% hold a high school diploma or higher compared to 86% statewide. Despite this, most residents find employment in industries such as manufacturing, retail trade and health care services. Additionally, there are several small businesses that have formed over the past few years that have created employment opportunities for local residents.
For population 25 years and over in Odem
- High school or higher: 61.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.9%
- Unemployed: 7.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Odem city
- Never married: 24.6%
- Now married: 58.0%
- Separated: 2.9%
- Widowed: 6.9%
- Divorced: 7.7%
3.2% Foreign born (3.0% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +153 (+6.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Odem:
- NORTHWEST REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX)
- CHRISTUS SPOHN HOSPITAL MEMORIAL (about 16 miles; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX)
- CORPUS CHRISTI WARM SPGS REHAB HOSP (about 16 miles; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Odem:
- CORPUS CHRISTI INTL (about 14 miles; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX; Abbreviation: CRP)
- VICTORIA REGIONAL (about 78 miles; VICTORIA, TX; Abbreviation: VCT)
- VALLEY INTL (about 120 miles; HARLINGEN, TX; Abbreviation: HRL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Odem:
- SAN PATRICIO COUNTY (about 7 miles; SINTON, TX; Abbreviation: T69)
- NUECES COUNTY (about 15 miles; ROBSTOWN, TX; Abbreviation: T53)
- HUNT (about 17 miles; PORTLAND, TX; Abbreviation: 9R5)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Odem:
- DEL MAR COLLEGE (about 18 miles; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,454)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-CORPUS CHRISTI (about 23 miles; Corpus Christi, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,282)
- COASTAL BEND COLLEGE (about 35 miles; BEEVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,150)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-KINGSVILLE (about 37 miles; KINGSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,860)
- VICTORIA COLLEGE (about 72 miles; VICTORIA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,511)
- PALO ALTO COLLEGE (about 116 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,623)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS-PAN AMERICAN (about 118 miles; EDINBURG, TX; Full-time enrollment: 9,651)
Public high school in Odem:
- ODEM H S (Students: 324; Location: 1 OWL SQ; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Odem:
- ODEM EL (Students: 564; Location: 1 OWL SQ; Grades: PK – 05)
- ODEM J H (Students: 287; Location: 1 OWL SQ; Grades: 06 – 08)
Library in Odem:
- ODEM PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $20,289; Location: 220 W HUMPHRIES ST; 7,849 books; 116 audio materials; 161 video materials; 17 serial subscriptions)