According to best-medical-schools, Otis Orchards, Washington is a small rural town located in the eastern portion of Spokane County. It is situated in a valley at the base of the Selkirk Mountains, just south of Liberty Lake. The climate in Otis Orchards is typical of Eastern Washington, with hot summers and cold winters. Precipitation is average for the region, with an average annual rainfall of 12 inches.
The history of Otis Orchards dates back to 1875 when it was first settled by farmers who planted orchards and built homes on their land. The town was officially incorporated in 1907 and has remained relatively unchanged since then. Politically, Otis Orchards is a conservative community that has traditionally voted Republican in elections.
The economy of Otis Orchards revolves around agriculture and tourism as well as small businesses such as restaurants and retail stores. The area also boasts several wineries which attract visitors from all over the region for wine tastings and events throughout the year.
Otis Orchards is served by two public schools – Liberty Lake Elementary School and East Valley High School – as well as several private schools including Lakeside Christian Academy and Horizon Christian School.
There are many landmarks to explore in Otis Orchards such as Liberty Lake Regional Park which boasts miles of trails for hiking, biking, camping and fishing; Sullivan Lake which offers swimming, boating and fishing; the historic Lutz Barn which hosts community events throughout the year; and Beacon Hill Winery which offers tours and tastings to visitors from all over Washington State.
Males: 3,169 (50.2%), Females: 3,149 (49.8%)
Zip code: 99027
Median resident age: 35.1 years
Median household income: $46,946
Median house value: $112,500
Races in Otis Orchards-East Farms:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.9%)
- American Indian (2.2%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- Two or more races (1.8%)
- Other race (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (26.7%), Irish (11.9%), English (10.3%), United States (9.9%), Norwegian (6.3%), French (4.2%).
Land area: 8.1 square miles
Otis Orchards, Washington is an unincorporated community in Spokane County with a population of 5,527 as of the 2010 census. It is located about 14 miles northeast of downtown Spokane, making it an ideal spot for commuters. The town is known for its rolling hills and rural atmosphere, which has made it a popular location for those seeking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. The majority of the population is white (84%), followed by Hispanics (9%), Asians (3%), African Americans (2%), and Native Americans (1%). The median household income in Otis Orchards is approximately $58,000 per year. This is slightly lower than the national average but still above the poverty level. Education levels are also higher than average – nearly 91% of adults over 25 have a high school degree or higher. There are several schools in Otis Orchards that serve students from kindergarten through 12th grade including Freeman Elementary School, East Valley Middle School, and West Valley High School. Aside from education and employment opportunities, there are also plenty of recreational activities available in Otis Orchards such as golfing at Liberty Lake Golf Course or fishing on Liberty Lake itself. Nearby Spokane offers additional entertainment opportunities such as shopping at River Park Square Mall or attending events at the Spokane Arena. All in all, Otis Orchards offers residents a peaceful yet stimulating environment to call home.
For population 25 years and over in Otis Orchards-East Farms
- High school or higher: 91.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 5.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Otis Orchards-East Farms CDP
- Never married: 22.4%
- Now married: 64.5%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 2.8%
- Divorced: 9.6%
1.8% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Otis Orchards-East Farms:
- VALLEY HOSPITAL & MEDICAL CENTER (about 10 miles; SPOKANE, WA)
- ST LUKE’S REHABILITATION INSTITUTE (about 21 miles; SPOKANE, WA)
- KOOTENAI MEDICAL CENTER (about 22 miles; COEUR D’ALENE, ID)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Otis Orchards-East Farms:
- COEUR D’ALENE AIR TERM (about 19 miles; COEUR D’ALENE, ID; Abbreviation: COE)
- SPOKANE INTL (about 32 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Abbreviation: GEG)
- FAIRCHILD AFB (about 41 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Abbreviation: SKA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Otis Orchards-East Farms:
- FELTS FIELD (about 17 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Abbreviation: SFF)
- MEAD FLYING SERVICE (about 20 miles; MEAD, WA; Abbreviation: 70S)
- BROOKS (about 21 miles; COEUR D’ALENE, ID; Abbreviation: S76)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Otis Orchards-East Farms:
- SPOKANE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 18 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 5,564)
- NORTH IDAHO COLLEGE (about 22 miles; COEUR D’ALENE, ID; Full-time enrollment: 2,988)
- GONZAGA UNIVERSITY (about 25 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,860)
- SPOKANE FALLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 30 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 6,284)
- EASTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 40 miles; CHENEY, WA; Full-time enrollment: 7,852)
- UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO (about 66 miles; MOSCOW, ID; Full-time enrollment: 9,823)
- WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 72 miles; PULLMAN, WA; Full-time enrollment: 18,110)