According to topschoolsintheusa, Quinlan, Texas is a small, rural town located in Hunt County, approximately 50 miles east of Dallas. The city lies on the banks of Lake Tawakoni, and the terrain is mostly flat with some rolling hills. The climate is generally hot and humid in the summer months, with temperatures reaching up to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Winters are milder with temperatures rarely dropping below freezing.
The history of Quinlan dates back to 1845 when it was founded by settlers from Kentucky and Tennessee. The town was named after a local Indian chief who had befriended the settlers. In its early years, Quinlan served as an important trading post for settlers heading westward into Texas. Today, Quinlan’s economy is based largely on agriculture and tourism. The city is home to several small businesses including restaurants and retail stores.
Politically, Quinlan has been reliably Republican in recent years due to its rural nature and strong Christian values. Education in the town is provided by the Quinlan Independent School District which consists of four elementary schools, one middle school, one high school and one alternative education center. The district also operates a number of private schools in the area as well as a charter school program called “Quinlan Learning Academy.”
Quinlan has several landmarks that attract visitors from all over Texas and beyond. Among these are The Old Mill Museum which showcases artifacts from the town’s past; The Historic Downtown Square where visitors can shop at quaint boutiques; Lake Tawakoni State Park where visitors can enjoy camping or fishing; and Cedar Creek Country Club which offers an 18-hole championship golf course as well as tennis courts and swimming pools.
Overall, Quinlan provides its residents with a peaceful atmosphere combined with plenty of activities for those looking for adventure or relaxation!
Population: 1,370. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,457 (+6.4% change)
Males: 628 (45.8%), Females: 742 (54.2%)
Zip code: 75474
Median resident age: 36.1 years
Median household income: $28,472
Median house value: $52,700
Races in Quinlan:
- White Non-Hispanic (92.0%)
- Hispanic (5.2%)
- Other race (2.3%)
- American Indian (1.5%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- Black (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (20.1%), Irish (11.7%), German (9.6%), English (7.4%), Dutch (1.4%), Scotch-Irish (1.3%).
Land area: 1.2 square miles
Quinlan, Texas is a small town located in Hunt County, just east of Dallas. The population of Quinlan is around 5,000 people. The majority of the population is white (79%) and the remaining 21% are African American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian and other ethnicities. The median age for the town is 38 years old. The median household income for Quinlan residents is $62,946.
The town has a wide range of educational opportunities available to its residents. There are several elementary schools in Quinlan as well as a middle school and high school. For those looking to further their education past high school there are two local colleges in close proximity to Quinlan: Texas A&M University-Commerce and Eastfield College. Both colleges offer an array of degree options including Associate’s Degrees, Bachelor’s Degrees and Master’s Programs.
Quinlan also offers many recreational activities for its citizens to enjoy such as fishing at Lake Tawakoni or visiting one of the many parks located within the city limits including Satterwhite Park or Lions Park which offer swimming pools and playground equipment for children to enjoy during the summer months. Other attractions include theaters, libraries and golf courses which provide entertainment options all year round for locals and visitors alike.
For population 25 years and over in Quinlan
- High school or higher: 68.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.9%
- Unemployed: 5.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 34.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Quinlan city
- Never married: 17.8%
- Now married: 52.3%
- Separated: 2.8%
- Widowed: 11.1%
- Divorced: 16.0%
2.1% Foreign born (1.5% Latin America, 0.5% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +11 (+0.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Quinlan:
- MEDICAL CENTER AT TERRELL (about 16 miles; TERRELL, TX)
- TERRELL STATE HOSP (about 16 miles; TERRELL, TX)
- GLEN OAKS HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; GREENVILLE, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Quinlan:
- DALLAS LOVE FIELD (about 50 miles; DALLAS, TX; Abbreviation: DAL)
- DALLAS/FORT WORTH INTERNATIONAL (about 63 miles; DALLAS-FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: DFW)
- TYLER POUNDS RGNL (about 64 miles; TYLER, TX; Abbreviation: TYR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Quinlan:
- TAYLOR (about 5 miles; QUINLAN, TX; Abbreviation: T14)
- PHILLIPS FLYING RANCH (about 7 miles; ROCKWALL, TX; Abbreviation: T48)
- CADDO MILLS MUNI (about 12 miles; CADDO MILLS, TX; Abbreviation: 7F3)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Quinlan:
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-COMMERCE (about 28 miles; COMMERCE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,998)
- EASTFIELD COLLEGE (about 36 miles; MESQUITE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,457)
- RICHLAND COLLEGE (about 42 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,352)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT DALLAS (about 43 miles; RICHARDSON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,695)
- COLLIN COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-CENTRAL PARK (about 43 miles; MCKINNEY, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,514)
- SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIVERSITY (about 46 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 8,231)
- EL CENTRO COLLEGE (about 48 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,359)
Public high schools in Quinlan:
- WH FORD HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 874; Location: 10064 S BUSINESS 34; Grades: 09 – 12)
- BOLES ISD HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 173; Location: 7071 FM 2101; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Quinlan:
- C B THOMPSON MIDDLE (Students: 692; Location: 423 PANTHER PATH; Grades: 06 – 08)
- D C CANNON EL (Students: 576; Location: 315 S BUSINESS 34; Grades: PK – 03)
- A E BUTLER INT (Students: 421; Location: 401 N PANTHER PATH; Grades: 04 – 05)
- JOE MARTIN EARLY CHILDHOOD CTR (Students: 308; Location: 425 PANTHER PATH; Grades: PK – KG)
- BOLES ISD ELEMENTARY (Students: 174; Location: 7071 FM 2101; Grades: PK – 04)
- BOLES MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 171; Location: 7071 FM 2101; Grades: 05 – 08)
- QISD EDUCATION CENTER (Location: 401 E RICHMOND; Grades: KG – 12)