According to agooddir, Robert Lee, Texas is located in the western part of Coke County and is home to a population of 1,096 people. It is situated on the banks of the Colorado River and has an area of 2.7 square miles. The city has a humid subtropical climate, with hot summers and mild winters.
The city’s history dates back to the late 19th century when it was founded by Robert Lee in 1886. It was originally a farming community but slowly began to develop into a small town as more people moved in over time. The city experienced a period of growth during the 1950s and 1960s, when several businesses were established in the area.
Politically, Robert Lee is part of Texas’s 11th Congressional District and is represented by Republican Congressman Mike Conaway. The city also has its own mayor and council governing system that works to ensure the well-being of its citizens.
The economy of Robert Lee relies heavily on agriculture as well as tourism due to its close proximity to Lake E Vam Dam and San Angelo State Park. Additionally, several local businesses have been established over time, providing jobs for many local residents.
There are two schools located within Robert Lee: Robert Lee Elementary School and Robert Lee High School which offer quality education for children from kindergarten through twelfth grade. Both schools are highly rated by parents and students alike for their excellent teaching staffs and academic programs.
For tourists visiting Robert Lee there are many landmarks to explore such as Fort Chadbourne which was built in 1852 as a frontier post, Fort Concho which was built during the Indian Wars in 1867-1870, or Old Glory Memorial Tower which stands at an impressive 65 feet tall above downtown Robert Lee! Additionally there are plenty of outdoor activities such as fishing or camping near Lake E Vam Dam or hiking trails at San Angelo State Park for visitors to enjoy!
Population: 1,171. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,070 (-8.6% change)
Males: 527 (45.0%), Females: 644 (55.0%)
Zip code: 76945
Median resident age: 45.7 years
Median household income: $25,750
Median house value: $43,400
Races in Robert Lee:
- White Non-Hispanic (78.6%)
- Hispanic (19.6%)
- Other race (7.3%)
- American Indian (1.7%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (12.4%), German (10.8%), English (9.5%), Irish (8.9%), French (2.3%), Scotch-Irish (2.2%).
Elevation: 1823 feet
Land area: 1.1 square miles
Robert Lee, Texas is a small rural town located in the western part of the state. It has a population of 1,280 people, according to the 2010 census. The majority of the population is White (83.6%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (14.4%), and African American (1.7%). The median age in Robert Lee is 41 years old with nearly half of all residents being over the age of 45. The median household income is $35,841 and has increased steadily since 2000. The town’s economy relies heavily on farming and ranching with many residents working in these industries as well as oil production and manufacturing jobs. There are several churches that serve the community including Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Church of Christ and Church of God denominations. Robert Lee also has its own school district which serves students from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade providing an excellent education for its youth. In addition to education, there are several recreational activities available including hunting, fishing, boating, camping and hiking at nearby Lake Spence or at one of the county parks located just outside town boundaries.
For population 25 years and over in Robert Lee
- High school or higher: 68.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.6%
- Unemployed: 5.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Robert Lee city
- Never married: 15.4%
- Now married: 62.8%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 9.9%
- Divorced: 10.1%
5.2% Foreign born (4.7% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -95 (-7.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Robert Lee:
- SCCI HOSPITAL – SAN ANGELO (about 28 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX)
- RIVER CREST HOSP (about 30 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX)
- SHANNON WEST TEXAS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 30 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Robert Lee:
- SAN ANGELO REGIONAL/MATHIS FIELD (about 38 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX; Abbreviation: SJT)
- DYESS AFB (about 57 miles; ABILENE, TX; Abbreviation: DYS)
- ABILENE REGIONAL (about 67 miles; ABILENE, TX; Abbreviation: ABI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Robert Lee:
- ROBERT LEE (about 4 miles; ROBERT LEE, TX; Abbreviation: 54F)
- WINTERS MUNI (about 35 miles; WINTERS, TX; Abbreviation: 77F)
- ALVIE COLE RANCH (about 38 miles; STERLING CITY, TX; Abbreviation: 64F)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Robert Lee:
- ANGELO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 38 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,477)
- HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY (about 66 miles; Abilene, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,026)
- ABILENE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY (about 67 miles; ABILENE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,380)
- MIDLAND COLLEGE (about 112 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,800)
- ODESSA COLLEGE (about 137 miles; ODESSA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,555)
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 150 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- TARLETON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 159 miles; STEPHENVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,068)
Public high school in Robert Lee:
- ROBERT LEE H S (Students: 141; Location: 1323 HAMILTON; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Robert Lee:
- ROBERT LEE EL (Students: 135; Location: 1323 HAMILTON; Grades: PK – 06)
- WALL SP PROG (Students: 4; Location: 8065 LOOP 570; Grades: KG – 08)
- TRINITY EC (Location: 1323 HAMILTON; Grades: N – N )
Library in Robert Lee:
- COKE COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $12,979; Location: 706 AUSTIN ST; 8,094 books; 160 audio materials; 31 video materials; 2 serial subscriptions)