According to TOPSCHOOLSOFLAW.COM, Rockwall is located in northeast Texas, approximately 25 miles east of Dallas. The city lies on the south shore of Lake Ray Hubbard and has a humid subtropical climate, with hot summers and mild winters. Rockwall’s history dates back to the early 19th century when it was first settled by settlers from Tennessee, Arkansas and other parts of the United States. The city was officially incorporated in 1873 and has since grown to a population of over 40,000 people.
Politically, Rockwall is part of Rockwall County, which is represented by Republican Representative Lance Gooden in the U.S. House of Representatives. The county has historically been a Republican stronghold, with Republicans winning every election since 2000. In terms of economy, Rockwall is home to numerous businesses ranging from large corporations to small family-owned businesses that provide goods and services for both residents and visitors alike.
The city also offers an excellent education system with several public school districts including Rockwall Independent School District (RISD), Royse City Independent School District (RCISD) and Rockwall-Heath Independent School District (RHISD). RISD serves more than 12,000 students while RCISD serves close to 5,000 students and RHISD serves close to 3,500 students respectively. Furthermore, there are several private schools within the city as well as higher education institutions such as Eastfield College which provides community college courses for students seeking an associate degree or technical certification program.
Rockwall also offers numerous cultural attractions including historic landmarks such as the Old Mill Park Pavilion that was built in 1895; Lake Pointe Church which was built in 1909; and First Presbyterian Church that was built in 1910; along with shopping centers like The Harbor at Rockwall which features restaurants, stores and entertainment venues; outdoor attractions like Fate Park which features trails for hiking or biking; along with annual festivals such as the Rockwall County Fair held every year in August at Myers Park Event Center.
Population: 17,976. Estimated population in July 2020: 29,354 (+63.3% change)
Males: 8,783 (48.9%), Females: 9,193 (51.1%)
Zip codes: 75032, 75087.
Median resident age: 36.6 years
Median household income: $65,411
Median house value: $155,600
Races in Rockwall:
- White Non-Hispanic (88.0%)
- Hispanic (6.4%)
- Black (3.0%)
- Other race (2.6%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (13.7%), German (13.3%), English (12.7%), Irish (11.3%), Dutch (2.7%), Scottish (2.6%).
Elevation: 588 feet
Land area: 22.3 square miles
Rockwall, Texas is a city located in the northeastern part of the state and has a population of almost 40,000 people. It is situated in the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area and has grown rapidly in recent years. The city’s population is largely composed of Caucasians, making up 85% of its inhabitants. African Americans make up 8%, Hispanics 7%, and Asians 2%. Additionally, there are smaller percentages of other racial groups including Native American and Pacific Islander.
Rockwall also has a large age demographic with the median age being 37 years old. The majority of Rockwall’s population is between 25 to 44 years old (34%), followed by those ages 45 to 64 (30%), 15 to 24 (20%), 5 to 14 (13%) and 65+ (3%). There are 48% male residents compared to 52% female residents. The largest percentage of households consists of married couples with children at 27%, while the second largest consists of married couples without children at 22%. Single parent households make up 17% while non-family households account for 16%. Education levels are high in Rockwall with 80% having graduated from high school or higher and 25% having attained a bachelor’s degree or higher.
For population 25 years and over in Rockwall
- High school or higher: 91.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 40.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 12.2%
- Unemployed: 1.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rockwall city
- Never married: 19.2%
- Now married: 65.8%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 4.2%
- Divorced: 9.3%
5.7% Foreign born (2.1% Latin America, 1.7% Asia, 1.1% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +7,142 (+65.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Rockwall:
- LAKE POINTE MEDICAL CENTER (about 7 miles; ROWLETT, TX)
- BARIATRIC CARE CENTER OF TEXAS (about 9 miles; WYLIE, TX)
- MESQUITE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; MESQUITE, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Rockwall:
- DALLAS LOVE FIELD (about 28 miles; DALLAS, TX; Abbreviation: DAL)
- DALLAS/FORT WORTH INTERNATIONAL (about 40 miles; DALLAS-FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: DFW)
- FORT WORTH ALLIANCE (about 60 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: AFW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Rockwall:
- ROCKWALL MUNI (about 2 miles; ROCKWALL, TX; Abbreviation: F46)
- AIRPARK EAST (about 12 miles; DALLAS, TX; Abbreviation: 1F7)
- RIVES AIR PARK (about 13 miles; ROYSE CITY, TX; Abbreviation: T33)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rockwall:
- EASTFIELD COLLEGE (about 14 miles; MESQUITE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,457)
- RICHLAND COLLEGE (about 20 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,352)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT DALLAS (about 20 miles; RICHARDSON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,695)
- SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIVERSITY (about 25 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 8,231)
- COLLIN COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-CENTRAL PARK (about 26 miles; MCKINNEY, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,514)
- EL CENTRO COLLEGE (about 26 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,359)
- BROOKHAVEN COLLEGE (about 27 miles; FARMERS BRANCH, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,711)
Public high schools in Rockwall:
- ROCKWALL H S (Students: 2,065; Location: 901 YELLOW JACKET LN; Grades: 10 – 12)
- ROCKWALL QUEST ACADEMY (Students: 81; Location: 1050 WILLIAMS; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Rockwall:
- HERITAGE CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 229; Location: 1600 EAST I-30 POB 1808; Grades: PK – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Rockwall:
- J W WILLIAMS MIDDLE (Students: 855; Location: 625 FM 552; Grades: 07 – 08)
- HERMAN E UTLEY FRESHMAN CENTER (Students: 836; Location: 1201 TOWNSEND; Grades: 09 – 09)
- MAURINE CAIN MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 747; Location: 6620 F M 3097; Grades: 07 – 08)
- DORRIS A JONES ELEMENTARY (Students: 745; Location: 2051 GLEN TRL; Grades: PK – 06)
- DOROTHY SMITH PULLEN EL (Students: 681; Location: 6492 F M 3097; Grades: PK – 06)
- AMANDA ROCHELL EL (Students: 591; Location: 899 TUBBS RD; Grades: PK – 06)
- HOWARD DOBBS EL (Students: 569; Location: 101 S CLARK ST; Grades: PK – 06)
- NEBBIE WILLIAMS EL (Students: 476; Location: 350 DALTON RD; Grades: KG – 06)
- GRACE HARTMAN ELEMENTARY (Students: 457; Location: 1325 PETALUMA DR; Grades: PK – 06)
- VIRGINIA REINHARDT EL (Students: 402; Location: 615 HIGHLAND DR; Grades: PK – 06)
Private primary/middle school in Rockwall:
- COUNTRY DAY MONTESSORI SCHOOL (Students: 38; Location: 2305 PLAZA DRIVE; Grades: KG – KG)
Library in Rockwall:
- ROCKWALL COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $329,139; Location: 105 S 1ST ST; 42,111 books; 1,581 audio materials; 846 video materials; 96 serial subscriptions)