According to EBIZDIR.NET, San Elizario is located in the far western corner of El Paso County, Texas. It is bordered by the Hueco Mountains to the north, the Franklin Mountains to the east and Mexico to the south and west. The city has a semi-arid climate with temperatures ranging from hot summers to cold winters. The average annual precipitation is 10 inches per year.
San Elizario has a rich history as it was founded in 1790 as one of the first Spanish colonial settlements in what is now Texas. It is home to many historical sites including Mission San Elcear, Fort Quitman, and San Elizario Chapel. These sites are important reminders of its past as a major trading port between Texas and Mexico during the 19th century.
Politically, San Elizario is part of Texas’ 16th congressional district and is represented by Congressman Veronica Escobar in Congress. In addition, it falls under El Paso County Commissioner’s Court jurisdiction for local government services such as law enforcement, public works and education services.
The economy of San Elizario is largely based on agriculture with cotton being its main crop along with other crops such as corn and wheat. The area also has a thriving tourism industry thanks to its historical sites, natural beauty and close proximity to Mexico.
The city’s schools are managed by Ysleta Independent School District (YISD). YISD provides educational services for over 40 schools in the area from elementary school through high school graduation level programs. There are also several private schools in San Elizario for those who want more specialized instruction or religious education options for their children.
San Elizario offers plenty of landmarks that are worth visiting including historic buildings like Mission San Antonio de Padua (1789), Fort Quitman (1854) and San Elcear Chapel (1877). In addition, there are several beautiful parks such as Veteran’s Memorial Park which features monuments dedicated to veterans from all branches of service, hiking trails at Hueco Tanks State Park & Historic Site which offer spectacular views of mountains and desert landscapes, and numerous other attractions like galleries showcasing local art or festivals celebrating regional culture & heritage like Fiesta de los Poetas y Artesanos (Festival of Poets & Artisans).
Males: 5,505 (49.8%), Females: 5,541 (50.2%)
El Paso County
Zip code: 79849
Median resident age: 22.5 years
Median household income: $20,145
Median house value: $46,600
Races in San Elizario:
- Hispanic (97.9%)
- Other race (4.2%)
- White Non-Hispanic (1.5%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (1.2%).
Land area: 9.9 square miles
San Elizario, Texas is a small city located in El Paso County, Texas. It has a population of 13,700 according to the 2020 census. The city is home to a diverse population of people from various backgrounds and cultures. The majority of residents are Hispanic or Latino with over 80% of the population being of this ethnic group. Other ethnic groups include Native Americans, African Americans, and White Americans. The median household income in San Elizario is $30,000 which is lower than the national average. However, poverty levels are significantly lower than the national average at 16%.
San Elizario’s economy is primarily driven by agriculture and tourism. Many farms are located close to the city center and provide employment opportunities for local residents. In addition to farming jobs, there are also many small businesses in the city such as restaurants, shops and other services that employ locals. Tourism is another important industry for San Elizario as it attracts visitors from all over Texas who come to enjoy its rich cultural heritage and attractions such as San Elizario Historic District and Mission Trail. Education is also an important part of life in San Elizario with several schools providing quality education for children in grades K-12 as well as higher education opportunities at nearby universities such as University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP).
For population 25 years and over in San Elizario
- High school or higher: 31.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 2.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.7%
- Unemployed: 12.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in San Elizario CDP
- Never married: 27.3%
- Now married: 61.5%
- Separated: 2.9%
- Widowed: 2.8%
- Divorced: 5.5%
44.0% Foreign born (43.9% Latin America).
Hospitals/medical centers near San Elizario:
- HIGHLANDS REGIONAL REHABILITATION HOS (about 13 miles; EL PASO, TX)
- DEL SOL MEDICAL CENTER (about 16 miles; EL PASO, TX)
- EL PASO PSYCHIATRIC CENTER (about 18 miles; EL PASO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to San Elizario:
- EL PASO INTL (about 17 miles; EL PASO, TX; Abbreviation: ELP)
- BIGGS AAF (about 19 miles; FORT BLISS/EL PASO/, TX; Abbreviation: BIF)
- LAS CRUCES INTERNATIONAL (about 66 miles; LAS CRUCES, NM; Abbreviation: LRU)
Other public-use airports nearest to San Elizario:
- WEST TEXAS (about 10 miles; EL PASO, TX; Abbreviation: T27)
- FABENS (about 11 miles; FABENS, TX; Abbreviation: E35)
- DONA ANA COUNTY AT SANTA TERESA (about 36 miles; SANTA TERESA, NM; Abbreviation: 5T6)
Amtrak station near San Elizario:
- 20 miles: EL PASO (700 SAN FRANCISCO AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to San Elizario:
- EL PASO COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 14 miles; EL PASO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,127)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT EL PASO (about 21 miles; EL PASO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 12,071)
- NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 59 miles; LAS CRUCES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 12,562)
- NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY-DONA ANA (about 59 miles; LAS CRUCES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,380)
- SUL ROSS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 200 miles; ALPINE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,076)
- COCHISE COLLEGE (about 228 miles; DOUGLAS, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,585)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO-MAIN CAMPUS (about 240 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 18,780)
Public high school in San Elizario:
- SAN ELIZARIO H S (Students: 1,007; Location: 1050 CHICKEN RANCH RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in San Elizario:
- SAN ELIZARIO MIDDLE (Students: 806; Location: 1050 CHICKEN RANCH RD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- LORENZO LOYA PRI (Students: 493; Location: 1050 CHICKEN RANCH RD; Grades: PK – KG)
- ALARCON ELEMENTARY (Students: 493; Location: 1050 CHICKEN RANCH RD; Grades: 01 – 05)
- ALFONSO BORREGO SR ELEMENTARY (Students: 449; Location: 1050 CHICKEN RANCH RD; Grades: 01 – 05)
- JOSEFA L SAMBRANO EL (Students: 438; Location: 1050 CHICKEN RANCH RD; Grades: 01 – 05)
- EXCELL ACADEMY (Students: 25; Location: 1050 CHICKEN RANCH RD; Grades: 05 – 12)