Sandy Level, Virginia has a population of about 3,500 people according to the latest census. It is located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and the terrain is mostly rolling hills. The climate in Sandy Level can be described as mild with four distinct seasons. Summers are hot and humid while winters are cold but usually not too harsh. Spring and fall bring pleasant temperatures and beautiful foliage to this area. Check ehangzhou for best time to travel to Virginia.
The history of Sandy Level dates back to 1776 when it was founded by settlers from Pennsylvania. Since then, it has grown into a thriving community with a strong economy based on agriculture and manufacturing. The local farms produce a variety of crops including wheat, corn, soybeans, hay, tobacco, and vegetables. The manufacturing sector produces furniture, textiles, chemicals, paper products, and other goods.
In recent years Sandy Level has become known for its excellent educational system which includes several public schools as well as private schools such as St. John’s Catholic school. There are also several universities in nearby towns such as Virginia Tech and James Madison University which offer degree programs for students from Sandy Level who wish to pursue higher education opportunities outside of their community.
Sandy Level is home to many landmarks that attract visitors from all over the country including Smithfield Plantation which was built in 1750 by Joseph Smithfield; the historic town square; Mary’s Chapel which dates back to 1812; and Stonewall Jackson’s grave site which is located just outside of town. Other attractions include numerous antique stores offering unique souvenirs; hiking trails; fishing spots; golf courses; wineries; and even an old-fashioned drive-in theater!
Males: 315 (45.7%), Females: 374 (54.3%)
Zip code: 24161
Median resident age: 34.1 years
Median household income: $20,089
Median house value: $64,200
Races in Sandy Level:
- Black (73.3%)
- White Non-Hispanic (25.3%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- Hispanic (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (8.6%), Irish (4.8%), English (1.0%).
Land area: 6.7 square miles
Neah Sandy Level, Virginia is a small rural community located in the southern part of the state. It is situated in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and has a population of just over 1,000 people. The town is home to many traditional businesses, such as general stores, restaurants, and a post office. The majority of Neah Sandy Level’s population is comprised of families who have lived in the area for generations.
The cost of living in Neah Sandy Level is relatively low compared to other towns and cities across Virginia. Housing costs are very affordable, with most single family homes ranging from $100k to $200k depending on size and amenities. Rentals are also available at reasonable rates. Groceries and utilities are also quite affordable, with most basic household items costing around $50 per month or less. Taxes are also among the lowest in Virginia at only 3%. Overall, living costs in Neah Sandy Level are very reasonable for families looking for an affordable place to call home.
For population 25 years and over in Sandy Level
- High school or higher: 45.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 1.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.5%
- Unemployed: 6.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sandy Level CDP
- Never married: 30.4%
- Now married: 45.2%
- Separated: 2.6%
- Widowed: 15.4%
- Divorced: 6.4%
2.3% Foreign born (2.3% Latin America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Sandy Level:
- MOREHEAD MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; EDEN, NC)
- MEMORIAL HOSP MARTINSVILLE (about 13 miles; MARTINSVILLE, VA)
- ANNIE PENN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; REIDSVILLE, NC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sandy Level:
- DANVILLE REGIONAL (about 28 miles; DANVILLE, VA; Abbreviation: DAN)
- PIEDMONT TRIAD INTERNATIONAL (about 36 miles; GREENSBORO, NC; Abbreviation: GSO)
- SMITH REYNOLDS (about 45 miles; WINSTON SALEM, NC; Abbreviation: INT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sandy Level:
- ROCKINGHAM COUNTY (about 6 miles; EDEN, NC; Abbreviation: 8N0)
- ROCKINGHAM COUNTY NC SHILOH (about 13 miles; REIDSVILLE, NC; Abbreviation: 78N)
- WARF (about 17 miles; REIDSVILLE, NC; Abbreviation: 6A5)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sandy Level:
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT GREENSBORO (about 32 miles; GREENSBORO, NC; Full-time enrollment: 10,868)
- ELON COLLEGE (about 32 miles; ELON, NC; Full-time enrollment: 3,993)
- NORTH CAROLINA AGRICULTURAL AND TECHNICAL ST UNIV (about 39 miles; Greensboro, NC; Full-time enrollment: 6,970)
- GUILFORD TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 42 miles; JAMESTOWN, NC; Full-time enrollment: 4,810)
- HIGH POINT UNIVERSITY (about 46 miles; HIGH POINT, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,564)
- WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY (about 48 miles; WINSTON SALEM, NC; Full-time enrollment: 5,944)
- WINSTON-SALEM STATE UNIVERSITY (about 50 miles; WINSTON-SALEM, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,508)