According to Microedu, Wills Point is a small city located in East Texas about 50 miles east of Dallas. The region is known for its beautiful rolling hills, lush greenery, and abundant wildlife. The climate in Wills Point is mild and temperate with an average annual temperature of 66 degrees Fahrenheit. Summers are hot and humid with temperatures reaching the mid-90s while winters are usually cool and sunny with occasional snowfalls.
The city has a rich history that dates back to the mid-1800s when it was founded by settlers from Alabama who named it after their hometown of Wills Point, Alabama. In 1874, the town was incorporated as Wills Point, Texas and has since grown to become a thriving community of over 3,500 people.
Politically, Wills Point is part of Van Zandt County which leans heavily Republican. The economy of the city is largely based on agriculture with cotton being the primary crop grown in the area. There are also several factories that provide jobs for local residents such as Dura Automotive Systems and Amcor Rigid Plastics USA Inc.
Schools in Wills Point include an elementary school, middle school, high school and community college as well as several private schools affiliated with local churches. The schools offer a variety of courses ranging from core academic subjects to vocational programs such as welding or automotive technology.
As far as landmarks go, there are many historic buildings located throughout the city including the old railroad depot built in 1878 which now serves as an antique mall; First Baptist Church which was built in 1907; and Old City Hall which was built in 1912 but now operates as a museum dedicated to preserving the history of Wills Point. There is also an old courthouse square at the center of town that features a statue honoring veterans from all wars dating back to World War I.
Population: 3,496. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,855 (+10.3% change)
Males: 1,591 (45.5%), Females: 1,905 (54.5%)
Van Zandt County
Zip code: 75169
Median resident age: 35.3 years
Median household income: $29,591
Median house value: $58,300
Races in Wills Point:
- White Non-Hispanic (75.0%)
- Black (13.1%)
- Hispanic (10.9%)
- Other race (4.5%)
- Two or more races (1.5%)
- American Indian (1.2%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (16.7%), English (10.2%), Irish (8.4%), German (4.9%), French (2.4%), Scottish (2.1%).
Land area: 3.6 square miles
The population of Wills Point, Texas is currently estimated to be around 3,500 people. The majority of the population is white with a small percentage of African American and Hispanic citizens. The median age of the town is 35.7 years old, and the median household income is approximately $36,000 per year. The majority of households are married couples with children living at home, though a growing number of single-parent households are also present in the town. Education levels are slightly above average for the state with many residents having obtained college degrees or higher education certificates. The unemployment rate in Wills Point is slightly lower than the national average, making it a desirable place to live for those looking for job opportunities. Overall, Wills Point has a friendly atmosphere and tight knit community that makes it an attractive option for those looking to settle down in a small town atmosphere.
For population 25 years and over in Wills Point
- High school or higher: 69.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.4%
- Unemployed: 7.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 34.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wills Point city
- Never married: 17.7%
- Now married: 53.4%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 12.2%
- Divorced: 14.5%
4.3% Foreign born (4.2% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +326 (+10.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Wills Point:
- MEDICAL CENTER AT TERRELL (about 20 miles; TERRELL, TX)
- TERRELL STATE HOSP (about 20 miles; TERRELL, TX)
- COZBY GERMANY HOSPIAL (about 21 miles; GRAND SALINE, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wills Point:
- TYLER POUNDS RGNL (about 49 miles; TYLER, TX; Abbreviation: TYR)
- DALLAS LOVE FIELD (about 59 miles; DALLAS, TX; Abbreviation: DAL)
- DALLAS/FORT WORTH INTERNATIONAL (about 73 miles; DALLAS-FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: DFW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wills Point:
- WILLS POINT MUNI (about 4 miles; WILLS POINT, TX; Abbreviation: 76F)
- CANTON-HACKNEY (about 14 miles; CANTON, TX; Abbreviation: 7F5)
- TAYLOR (about 18 miles; QUINLAN, TX; Abbreviation: T14)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wills Point:
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-COMMERCE (about 37 miles; COMMERCE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,998)
- TRINITY VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 38 miles; ATHENS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,858)
- TYLER JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 43 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,872)
- EASTFIELD COLLEGE (about 45 miles; MESQUITE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,457)
- RICHLAND COLLEGE (about 53 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,352)
- NAVARRO COLLEGE (about 53 miles; CORSICANA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,842)
- SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIVERSITY (about 54 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 8,231)
Public high school in Wills Point:
- WILLS POINT H S (Students: 777; Location: 1800 W S COMMERCE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Wills Point:
- WILLS POINT INT (Students: 567; Location: 307 WINGO WAY; Grades: 02 – 04)
- WILLS POINT PRI (Students: 499; Location: 447 TER DR; Grades: PK – 01)
- WILLS POINT J H (Students: 438; Location: 200 TIGER DR; Grades: 07 – 08)
- WILLS POINT MIDDLE (Students: 430; Location: 101 SCHOOL ST; Grades: 05 – 06)
Library in Wills Point:
- WILLS POINT HIGH SCHOOL/WINGO PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $129,386; Location: 1800 W SOUTH COMMERCE ST; 12,769 books; 300 audio materials; 720 video materials; 400 serial subscriptions)