According to topschoolsintheusa, Wilsonville, Alabama is a small town located in Shelby County with a population of approximately 1,500 people. The geography of the area is mostly rural, with the majority of the land being used for farm production. The climate in Wilsonville is typical of the south, with hot and humid summers and mild winters.
The history of Wilsonville dates back to the early 1800s when it was founded by settlers from Georgia. In its early days, it was home to a variety of industries such as cotton production and timber processing. It was also an important stop on the Selma-to-Montgomery March during the Civil Rights movement.
Politically, Wilsonville has traditionally leaned conservative but has become more progressive over time. It is part of Alabama’s 7th Congressional district which is represented by Republican Terri Sewell in Congress.
The economy in Wilsonville is largely based on agriculture and small businesses such as restaurants and retail stores. The town also has several manufacturing plants that employ many local residents.
Wilsonville is served by Shelby County Schools which consists of four elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. The schools are well-funded and have highly qualified teachers who strive to provide quality education for their students.
Wilsonville has several landmarks that make it unique among other towns in Alabama including the historic courthouse on Main Street which dates back to 1887 and serves as a reminder of its past; the historic church on Church Street which was built in 1870; and the old train depot which once served as an important hub for transportation during its heyday in the late 19th century.
Population: 1,551. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,742 (+12.3% change)
Males: 764 (49.3%), Females: 787 (50.7%)
Zip code: 35186
Median resident age: 40.6 years
Median household income: $42,105
Median house value: $98,400
Races in Wilsonville:
- White Non-Hispanic (92.3%)
- Black (5.2%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
- Vietnamese (0.6%)
- Hispanic (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (19.6%), Irish (11.3%), English (9.8%), German (5.7%), Scotch-Irish (3.1%), Scottish (3.1%).
Elevation: 423 feet
Land area: 9.8 square miles
Wilsonville, Alabama is a small town located in Shelby County, just south of Birmingham. It has a population of approximately 1,400 people. Most of the citizens are Caucasian, with a smaller percentage of African American and Hispanic residents. The median household income for the area is around $42,000 per year, with the majority of households earning less than $50,000 per year. The town is home to several small businesses including a grocery store and several restaurants. Many residents are employed locally in manufacturing or retail jobs. The town also has a few churches and recreational facilities such as parks and playgrounds. Education is provided by Wilsonville Elementary School and Wilsonville High School, both part of the Shelby County school system. There are also several private schools in the area as well as post-secondary options nearby at the University of Montevallo and Jefferson State Community College. The community offers many activities for its citizens such as festivals, parades, and concerts throughout the year. Wilsonville provides its citizens with an affordable cost of living while still providing access to larger cities nearby for employment opportunities or entertainment activities.
For population 25 years and over in Wilsonville
- High school or higher: 77.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.9%
- Unemployed: 4.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 34.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wilsonville town
- Never married: 12.4%
- Now married: 68.9%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 6.6%
- Divorced: 10.0%
0.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +316 (+25.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Wilsonville:
- COOSA VALLEY BAPTIST MEDICAL CENTER (about 17 miles; SYLACAUGA, AL)
- SHELBY BAPTIST MEDICAL CENTER (about 23 miles; ALABASTER, AL)
- BIRMINGHAM BAPT MED CNTR MONTCLAIR SNU (about 26 miles; BIRMINGHAM, AL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wilsonville:
- BIRMINGHAM INTL (about 29 miles; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Abbreviation: BHM)
- TALLADEGA MUNI (about 38 miles; TALLADEGA, AL; Abbreviation: ASN)
- ANNISTON METROPOLITAN (about 51 miles; ANNISTON, AL; Abbreviation: ANB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wilsonville:
- MERKEL FIELD SYLACAUGA MUNI (about 14 miles; SYLACAUGA, AL; Abbreviation: SCD)
- SHELBY COUNTY (about 20 miles; ALABASTER, AL; Abbreviation: EET)
- GRAGG-WADE FIELD (about 28 miles; CLANTON, AL; Abbreviation: 02A)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wilsonville:
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY (about 27 miles; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Full-time enrollment: 4,106)
- UNIVERSITY OF MONTEVALLO (about 29 miles; MONTEVALLO, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,651)
- JEFFERSON STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 32 miles; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Full-time enrollment: 3,279)
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA AT BIRMINGHAM (about 38 miles; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Full-time enrollment: 12,178)
- BEVILL STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 53 miles; SUMITON, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,670)
- GEORGE C WALLACE STATE COMMUNITY COLL-HANCEVILLE (about 60 miles; HANCEVILLE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 3,272)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF THE AIR FORCE (about 60 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 126,963)
Public primary/middle school in Wilsonville:
- WILSONVILLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 196; Location: 71 SCHOOL ST; Grades: KG – 05)
Library in Wilsonville:
- WILSONVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $16,910; Location: MAIN STREET P.O. BOX 24; 6,444 books; 14 audio materials; 153 video materials; 7 serial subscriptions)