According to ehuzhou.net, Wimberley, Texas is located in Hays County and is a small town with a population of 2,626 according to the 2010 census. It is situated on the banks of Cypress Creek, which runs through the center of town. The city is located in the Hill Country region of Central Texas and has an elevation of 1,000 feet above sea level. The climate in Wimberley is typically mild with temperatures ranging between 45°F and 85°F throughout the year. Winters are generally mild with occasional cold spells and summers can be hot and humid.
The history of Wimberley dates back to 1845 when John and Elizabeth Wimberley settled near Cypress Creek. In 1848, they built a flour mill on their property that operated until 1906 when it was destroyed by a flood. In 1851, the town was officially recognized as Wimberleyville by the state legislature and was incorporated in 1960.
Politics are mostly conservative in Wimberley as it is located in a Republican stronghold county. The economy here is largely based on tourism due to its proximity to San Marcos which has become an increasingly popular tourist destination over recent years. There are also several small businesses located downtown that cater to tourists such as antique shops, art galleries, restaurants, and boutiques.
Wimberley Independent School District serves most students living within its boundaries while some students attend schools outside the district due to open enrollment policies or special programs offered elsewhere. There are five schools within the district including two elementary schools (Scudder Primary School & Jacob’s Well Elementary), one middle school (Danforth Junior High), one high school (Wimberley High School) as well as an alternative high school (Pathways Learning Center).
When it comes to landmarks, there are many natural attractions around Wimberley such as Jacob’s Well Natural Area which features crystal clear waters for swimming or fishing; Blue Hole Regional Park featuring hiking trails; Hamilton Pool Preserve with its unique limestone grotto; plus numerous other outdoor activities available for visitors throughout the year such as kayaking down Cypress Creek or camping at nearby Blanco State Park. Additionally, downtown Wimberley offers interesting historical sites like Rebecca Creek Distillery which was established in 2010 making it one of oldest distilleries in Texas or EmilyAnn Theatre & Gardens which hosts theatrical productions throughout summer months along with various festivals and events held year-round at different sites around town like Farmers Market at Old Glory Ranch or Art & Wine Festivals at Lions Field Park & Community Center.
Males: 1,791 (47.2%), Females: 2,006 (52.8%)
Zip code: 78676
Median resident age: 45.6 years
Median household income: $46,042
Median house value: $141,300
Races in Wimberley:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.2%)
- Hispanic (6.9%)
- Other race (3.0%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- American Indian (1.3%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (22.1%), English (13.7%), Irish (9.3%), United States (7.1%), Scotch-Irish (6.6%), Scottish (5.2%).
Land area: 16.1 square miles
Wimberley, Texas is a small town situated in the heart of the Texas Hill Country. It is located approximately 30 miles southwest of Austin and is part of Hays County. As of the 2010 census, the population of Wimberley was 2,626 people. The population has grown significantly since then and is estimated to be around 3,000 as of 2019. The town has a strong sense of community, with many events and activities throughout the year that bring neighbors together. The majority of Wimberley’s population is made up of White Americans (87%), followed by Hispanic/Latino (6%), African American (2%) and Asian (1%). The median age in Wimberley is 44 years old, slightly higher than the national average. The median household income for residents falls around $61,000 per year which is slightly lower than the state average. Over 40% of households contain married couples with children and nearly half are single-parent families. Despite its small size and remote location, Wimberley offers its residents a high quality lifestyle with plenty of opportunities for recreation in nature such as camping, fishing, hiking and swimming at nearby Jacob’s Well Natural Area or Blue Hole Regional Park.
For population 25 years and over in Wimberley
- High school or higher: 89.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 41.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 16.3%
- Unemployed: 2.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wimberley CDP
- Never married: 15.7%
- Now married: 64.5%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 6.4%
- Divorced: 12.1%
6.3% Foreign born (3.5% Latin America, 2.6% Europe).
Hospitals/medical centers near Wimberley:
- CENTRAL TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER (about 8 miles; SAN MARCOS, TX)
- MCKENNA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; NEW BRAUNFELS, TX)
- TEXAS NEURO REHABILITATION CENTER (about 26 miles; AUSTIN, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wimberley:
- AUSTIN-BERGSTROM INTL (about 33 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Abbreviation: AUS)
- SAN ANTONIO INTL (about 41 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SAT)
- LACKLAND AFB (KELLY FLD ANNEX) (about 53 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SKF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wimberley:
- SAN MARCOS MUNI (about 19 miles; SAN MARCOS, TX; Abbreviation: HYI)
- NEW BRAUNFELS MUNI (about 21 miles; NEW BRAUNFELS, TX; Abbreviation: BAZ)
- KESTREL AIRPARK (about 26 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: 1T7)
Amtrak station near Wimberley:
- 14 miles: SAN MARCOS (LBJ DR. & COMAL ST.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wimberley:
- SOUTHWEST TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 14 miles; SAN MARCOS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 18,822)
- SAINT EDWARD’S UNIVERSITY (about 30 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,870)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN (about 33 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 46,503)
- AUSTIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 36 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 12,819)
- UNIVERSITY OF THE INCARNATE WORD (about 43 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,734)
- SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE (about 46 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,226)
- TRINITY UNIVERSITY (about 46 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,474)
Public high schools in Wimberley:
- WIMBERLEY H S (Students: 626; Location: 100 CARNEY LN; Grades: 09 – 12)
- KATHERINE ANNE PORTER SCHOOL (Students: 126; Location: 515 FM 2325; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Wimberley:
- WIMBERLEY J H (Students: 446; Location: 200 TEXAN BLVD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- SCUDDER PRI (Students: 412; Location: 400 GREEN ACRES DR; Grades: PK – 02)
- BOWEN INT (Students: 396; Location: 14501 RANCH RD 12 N; Grades: 03 – 05)
Private primary/middle school in Wimberley:
- ST STEPHENS SCHOOL (Students: 162; Location: 6000 F.M. 3237; Grades: PK – 6)
Library in Wimberley:
- WIMBERLEY VILLAGE LIBRARY (Operating income: $242,721; Location: 400 FM 2325; 23,533 books; 660 audio materials; 965 video materials; 193 serial subscriptions)